Rosie Perez

Rosie Perez was the daughter of Lydia Perez, a merchant marine and Ismael Serano. She was born in Bushwick Brooklyn, New York City. She is of Puerto Rican descent. Rosie attended Grover Cleveland High School in Ridgewood, Queens, New York, and later enrolled at Los Angeles City College in Los Angeles, California. Rosie Perez, who was in her second college year she was planning to relocate to New York. Her departure was a party by her friends. The moment Spike Lee proposed that she be part of his movie Do the Right Thing (1989), she said yes. It would be her debut major role in acting. In Peter Weir's Fearless (1993) she was the role of support Carla Rodrigo, for which she was nominated to win an Academy Award for Best Supporting Artistess. (She lost to Anna Paquin for The Piano (1993). The most criticism I received early in my career was coming from the Latin community. They would invite me to lunch and ask, "Can I go and learn lessons to lessen my accent?" or "Can you not be funny and loud during a talk-show?" The people were so critical of my voice, they dealt me a lot to be angry about. I tried to change however it was my voice that I used to speak. As I grew older, the octaves decreased and I am grateful for that. It's about getting past your fears. It's about fighting for yourself. Floyd Mayweather could get punched - like clean shot down the middle of his face and he wouldn't flinch. And I'm aware of what he's doing. (Who spoke about Don Cornelius watching her danceand commenting on her dance]: Don Cornelius did not want to know how I danced . I was dancing hip-hop, and it seemed unheard of by people living in California. They were only familiar with popping and locking, so hip-hop dancing wasn't something they wanted to study. Don was the kind of person who said "No, no. You're a girl." I thought"What? This is really bizarre. Then I was required to perform in high-heeled shoes. I've have never danced in high heels before, and I was wearing this tiny little short dressthat's getting up my thigh and I'm like, Oh my God!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amanda Lamb personal life

Piper Perabo

Brooke Burns